People always ask me what I am referring to when I mention “Clean Eating” so here you go:
Clean Eating Principles:
1. Eat Lots Of Plants – Eat food that is straight from nature. Eat mostly foods that are off a tree, bush, plant or vine. The idea is to stay away from anything that humans (food corporations) have altered in any way.
2. Include Meats – Eat meats that are whole and straight from the butcher. Don’t buy pre-packaged meat products because you never know what’s in them.
3. Enjoy Grains – Stick to brown rice, whole wheat and other whole grains.
4. Read Labels I don’t know how many breads I’ve picked up at the store that say they are whole grain. But when I take a look at the ingredient list, white flour is the second ingredient after whole wheat flour! (use the FREE app from Fooducate – You can scan the barcode of products to find out how “healthy” it really is)
5. Eat Fewer Ingredients. Try not to purchase foods that have more than 3-6 ingredients in the ingredient list. And be sure you recognize each and every ingredient. If you can’t pronounce it, it probably shouldn’t go into your body.
6. Eat 5-6 small meals per day. I eat every 2.5-3.5 waking hours – 3 meals and an a.m. and p.m. snack. (You can divide lunch and dinner in half. You’ve instantly got 6 small meals.)
To eat clean cut out:
1) white sugar
2) white flour (such as breads and pasta)
3) white rice
5) foods high in fat
And eat LOTS of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats
Here is a list of foods we eat regularly:
Berries of all kinds
Bell Peppers in any color – Orange & Yellow are my favorite
Squash of any variety
Onions of any variety
Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
Oats – Steel cut is best
Almond milk (Unsweetened)
Rice milk (Unsweetened)
Grade B Maple syrup
Almonds – nothing added.
Ezekiel Bread – found in freezer section (check labels)
Tortillas – 100% whole wheat (check labels)
Yogurt – Greek Yogurt is my favorite
White Fish – Tilapia is my favorite
Lean Red Meat